MILWAUKEE -- Start your day off right and skip the drive through, gas station snacks and more. Heather Ferber with Better Health by Heather, joined Real Milwaukee Monday morning, Oct. 29 to share healthy muffin and bars recipes, which if made in advance, you can easily grab to take on the go as you’re running out the door in the morning.
Breakfast may just be the most important meal of the day for those looking to improve their eating habits and make healthier choices. But so often we are in a rush! And that leads to poor choices such as the breakfast drive through, high fat, high calorie gas station muffins, and unhealthy, high sugar store bought bars.
Fall Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin
- ½ cup yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup thin apple slices
- ½ almond slivers
- turbinao sugar, optional topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 12 cup muffin pan with noncook sticking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, yogurt, eggs, syrup, vanilla extract and almond milk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir gently until combine.
- Gently fold in apple slices and almond slivers.
- Pour batter evenly into muffin tins. Top with turbinado sugar if desired.
- Bake 25 mins until they pass the clean toothpick test.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
Easy Breakfast Bars
- 1 cup almonds
- ½ cup pistachios
- ¾ cup brown rice puff cereal
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup nut butter of choice
- sea salt to taste
- dark chocolate drizzle, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix almonds, pistachios and cereal in a large bowl.
- Mix nut butter and maple syrup in small bowl and drizzle over nut cereal mixture.
- Pour mixture into baking pan and smooth into a tightly packed, even layer. Drizzle with melted dark chocolate if desired. Bake approximately 30-35 minutes. They must bake long enough so they hold together when cooled.
- Allow to cool. Gently lift from the parchment and slice into approximately 12 bars.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 month or in an airtight container on the counter for 2 weeks.