Use of smoker/grill in building leads to fully-involved garage fire in Mount Pleasant

MOUNT PLEASANT -- Officials with the South Shore Fire Department said the use of a smoker/grill inside a garage, near combustible materials, led to a fire on Christmas Eve, Monday, Dec. 24 in Mount Pleasant.

Fire officials were called to the scene on Spring Street near Ohio Street shortly before 3 p.m. -- where they found the three-car detached garage fully involved inf ire.

The fire was brought under control before 3:15 p.m. Firefighters were hampered by a downed live electrical wire that was arcing, limiting access to one side of the building.

The garage contained two motorcycles, tools and miscellaneous household items. Damage was estimated at $50,000.

No one was hurt.

Fire officials in a news release reminded everyone propane and charcoal grills and smokers should not be used inside buildings, and should be kept away from combustible materials.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.