Racine County buildings closed to public Wednesday through 1 p.m. Thursday
RACINE — Racine County buildings will be closed to the public on Wednesday, Jan. 30 and on Thursday morning, Jan. 31 due to extreme weather conditions. Officials said it was anticipated the buildings would reopen at 1 p.m. Thursday.
Buildings impacted by the closure include the Racine County Courthouse, Racine County Dennis Kornwolf Service Center, the Ives Grove Office Complex and the Western Racine County Service Center.
The decision to close was based on unique circumstances presented with a historically-cold forecast.
Racine County Executive Jonathan Delagrave issued the following statement in a news release:
“The safety of Racine County residents and Racine County employees is my first priority. This is an extraordinarily hazardous weather event, particularly for our most vulnerable population which Racine County serves every day. The people of southeastern Wisconsin are incredibly resilient; however, this weather should be taken seriously, and I encourage people of all ages to exercise caution in these extreme weather conditions.”
Meanwhile, Racine Mayor Cory Mason ordered City Hall and the Annex closed Wednesday, with the buildings not set to open until Thursday at 1 p.m. City officials said all public safety, public works and other essential personnel would be required to report to work Wednesday unless otherwise directed by a supervisor.
A news release listed the following impacted city services in Racine:
- Garbage pickup was cancelled for Wednesday, with a late start on Thursday.
- The Racine Public Library closed at 5 p.m. Tuesday, and would not reopen until 1 p.m. Thursday.
- City buses would be running normally, and the Transit Center was set to be open to the public.
- The King Center, Chavez Center, Tyler Domer Community Center and Bryant Center were set to be open from noon to 5 p.m. Wednesday to serve as warming shelters.
- Because tax collection in the Clerk’s Office was being impacted by the weather, residents would not be penalized for waiting to come in and pay on Friday.