View election results from the 2020 spring primary

35-year-old deputy died after shooting at Rockford hotel; suspect in custody after standoff

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

ROCKFORD, Ill. — A deputy with the McHenry County Sheriff's Office who was critically wounded when he was fired upon by a suspect while executing an arrest warrant at a hotel in Rockford, Illinois, later died from his injuries. The shooting happened on Thursday morning, March 7. The suspect was at large after the shooting -- but surrendered around 5 p.m., according to WGN.

Deputy Keltner was 35, and a 12 1/2 year veteran of the McHenry County Sheriff's Office.

In addition to the deputy, who was part of the Great Lakes Regional Fugitive Task Force headed by the U.S. Marshals Service, a female acquaintance of the suspect, 25, was also wounded. She was treated at the hospital and released.

Officials said it was not believed any law enforcement officials fired in this case -- and the female acquaintance was struck by the suspect's gunfire.

When officers arrived at the Extended Stay America Hotel on N. Bell School Road around 9:15 a.m. Thursday for the shooting, the female acquaintance was extracted from the hotel room and taken to the hospital.

Officials said there were shots fired both inside and outside the hotel -- in the room and in the parking lot. The deputy was shot in the parking lot.

Floyd Brown

Law enforcement officials were at the hotel to execute an arrest warrant on the suspect -- Floyd Brown. Police said he was wanted on warrants out of Sangamon County, Champaign County and McClean County for burglary and failure to appear in court -- as well as the Illinois Department of Corrections -- probation and parole.

After the shooting, police said Brown took off in a Mercury Marquis, with Illinois license plate number BFI3112. He was considered armed with a rifle, and dangerous -- and an alert was broadcast to all law enforcement agencies in Illinois.

Officials with the Illinois State Patrol located him southbound on I-55 between Bloomington and Springfield and attempted a traffic stop, at which point Brown's vehicle crashed. The hours-long standoff followed. He was eventually taken into custody by Illinois State Police.

Because the deputy passed away at the hospital, Brown faces a charge of first degree murder. An arrest warrant was issued with no bond. He faces mandatory life in prison. Officials said the death penalty was not out of the question. As of Thursday evening, he was awaiting transport to Winnebago County.


Rockford police, Winnebago County sheriff's officials and other agencies, including Illinois State Police were investigating.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.