LIVE: Latest coverage, updates from Nevada Caucus

Mother, daughter, boyfriend charged: Police say missing pregnant woman strangled, baby cut from womb

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CHICAGO -- Three people were charged after a missing pregnant woman was found dead on Chicago’s Southwest Side.

Chicago Police Department Superintendent Eddie Johnson and police officials announced Thursday afternoon, May 16 that three people were charged in connection to the death of 19-year-old Marlen Ochoa-Uriostegui. Her body was discovered just after midnight Tuesday in a trash bin behind a home on the 4100 block of West 77th Place.

According to WGN, Clarisa Figueroa, 46, and her daughter, Desiree Figueroa, 24, were charged with first-degree murder and felony aggravated battery to a child less than 13 years old causing permanent disability.

Figueroa’s boyfriend, Piotr Bobak, 40, was charged with concealing a homicide.

Police said Figueroa’s daughter confessed to helping her mother strangle the 19-year-old, who was nine months pregnant when she went missing. Police said a cable was used to strangle her.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office on Wednesday identified the body found at the home on West 77th Place as that of Ochoa-Lopez. The medical examiner ruled her death a homicide.

Police said Ochoa-Lopez was strangled and that her baby boy was cut from her womb after the murder. Sources said the home had a hidden room in the basement.

Fire officials confirmed they responded to the home on West 77th Place on April 23 -- the day Ochoa-Lopez went missing. She went missing less than two weeks before her due date. The 19-year-old was likely dead when an emergency call was made by someone in the home.

Police said that on May 7, one of Ochoa-Lopez’s friends told detectives that she was on a “chat site” on Facebook. Her family said it was a Facebook group called “Help a Sister Out.”

Ochoa-Lopez’s family said she went to the home on West 77th Place to swap items arranged through the group. The group has since been archived.

A 46-year-old woman, now identified as Clarisa Figueroa, claimed to have a stroller and other baby items.

“She was giving clothes away, supposedly under the pretenses that her daughters had been given clothes and they had all these extra boy clothes. That’s the false pretenses that we believe led her to that house,” Cecelia Garcia, a spokeswoman for the pregnant woman's family said.

Hours later that same day, neighbors said the Clarisa Figuero came running out of the home, claiming that she had just given birth to a baby boy and that he wasn’t breathing.

The baby was transported to Christ Hospital, Chicago fire officials confirmed. He remained hospitalized in intensive care as of Thursday.

Ochoa-Lopez’s family named the baby boy Yovani Yadiel Lopez. Police confirmed that DNA testing proved Yadiel belongs to Ochoa-Lopez, but they don’t expect him to survive.

Just before 11 a.m. Thursday, the 19-year-old’s family was spotted by WGN cameras, visibly emotional, entering the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.