PLEASANT PRAIRIE -- Pleasant Prairie police on Wednesday, May 22 addressed criticism about their response to a fatal shooting Monday night in the parking lot of Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen. This, as 19-year-old Khaled Alchaar's family planned to honor his life Wednesday night.
Police on Wednesday offered this timeline of events:
- 20:46:30 Pleasant Prairie Police Department (PPPD) Dispatch was advised of the medical call for gunshot wound (GSW).
- 20:46:53 PPPD dispatched to Cheddar’s.
- 20:47:37 Kenosha County dispatched Pleasant Prairie Fire & Rescue (PPFD) Station 2 to Cheddar’s for GSW.
- 20:48:54 PPFD en route to Cheddar’s.
- 20:49:23 First Kenosha Police Department arrived at Cheddar’s.
- 20:49:29 Pleasant Prairie Dispatch advised PPFD to stage in area. PPFD advised where they are staging.
- 20:50:05 Information received and relayed by Pleasant Prairie Dispatch that suspect possibly on west side of Cheddar’s in woods. Victim stumbled towards U.S. Cellular holding stomach.
- 20:50:23 First Kenosha Sheriff’s Department unit arrived at Cheddar’s.
- 20:52:07 PPFD units staged near Froedtert South Hospital.
- 20:52:28 First PPPD unit arrived at Cheddar’s.
- 20:53:26 PPPD units still searching to locate victim.
- 20:54:22 Kenosha Sheriff’s Department Deputy located victim.
- 20:55:27 Pleasant Prairie Dispatch advised PPPD units that PPFD is staged.
- 20:56:10 PPPD unit advised he is with the victim.
- 20:57:44 PPPD unit requested PPFD to come to the scene.
- 20:58:15 PPFD enter the scene.
- 20:59:35 PPFD exit the scene with patient.
- 21:05:40 PPFD transport patient.
- 21:08:37 PPFD arrive at Froedtert South Hospital.
Family members were left with unanswered questions after the shooting. On Tuesday, family members told FOX6 News the 19-year-old called his brother as he was bleeding out. When the brother arrived, he tried to stop the bleeding with a T-shirt.
"We were there for 20 minutes more and more police showed up. They are looking for the suspect in the bushes. What about the bleeding victim?" said Abdul Alchaar.
"We went over. The cop wouldn't let us through, saying, 'This is a crime scene and we are looking for the suspect,'" Abdul Alchaar said.
Police said Alchaar was taken to Froedtert South, where he later died.
"He was a nice kid. He had a good heart," said Mohammed Alchaar. "He was still innocent, still young. He hasn't seen life yet."
A spokesperson for Cheddar's referred us to Pleasant Prairie police for comment. While the police statement Wednesday did not include information on a suspect, in a previous statement, police said this appeared to be an isolated incident and there was no threat to the public.
The visitation and funeral for Alchaar were set to take place at the family's mosque in Kenosha Wednesday night.
In the meantime, the family was searching for answers about who shot Alchaar -- and praying for justice.