Police: Delavan man arrested after road rage stabbing, standoff, admitted to the crime

Jose Arreola-Reyes

Jose Arreola-Reyes

DELAVAN — A Delavan man was arrested following a road rage stabbing and subsequent standoff in Delavan on Saturday, Aug. 17.

Delavan police said it all started around 6 p.m., when officers were dispatched to the area near Whispering Pines Drive and Pine Street, where they found a man laying on the ground with an apparent stab wound. A friend and witness were rendering aid. He was taken to the hospital.

Police said the stabbing was believed to have resulted from a road rage incident near 5th Street and Walworth Avenue. The victim was taken from that location to where police found him.

Multiple witnesses identified the suspect, who police identified in a news release Tuesday, Aug. 20 as Jose Arreola-Reyes, 27. His vehicle was found parked behind his home on 2nd Street near Matthew Street — parked so that it could not be seen from 2nd Street, police said. Witnesses said possibly three people entered the home.

Believing Arreola-Reyes was inside the home, police established a perimeter, and the upper unit was evacuated, along with neighboring units, which were evacuated later.

Police and a negotiator with the Walworth County SWAT Team were able to make phone contact with Arreola-Reyes, and about the time SWAT arrived on scene, Arreola-Reyes surrendered peacefully.

A search warrant was executed at the home, and police said cocaine, heroin, and marijuana were found, but the weapon used in the stabbing was not.

Police said Arreola-Reyes admitted to stabbing the man with an undisclosed object. He was taken to jail on counts of aggravated battery with a weapon, causing great bodily harm, with additional charges expected.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.