LIVE: Justice rally in Milwaukee for victims of police violence
Hub for reliable, timely news about COVID-19 pandemic

West Allis woman pleads not guilty, accused of leaving 2 kids in car while she shopped at Target

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Allison Andrade

MILWAUKEE — Allison Andrade of West Allis pleaded not guilty on Thursday, Aug. 22 to charges of neglecting a child, obstructing an officer, and bail jumping.  Andrade is accused of leaving two children inside a vehicle while she shopped at Target.

Prior to Andrade entering her plea, she waived her right to a preliminary hearing. The judge then found probable cause and bound Andrade over for trial.

According to the criminal complaint, on Saturday, Aug. 10, officers were dispatched to the Target store located near 108th Street and Cleveland Avenue in West Allis for a report of two children left inside a vehicle alone.

Upon arrival, officers spoke to a woman who claimed she spotted the two children, ages 2 and 4, in the back seat of the vehicle after she parked at Target. The woman told police she opened the rear passenger door, which was not shut all the way, and observed the 4-year-old child playing with a shaving razor. The woman also stated that the air inside the vehicle was warm.

Allison Andrade

Officers reported that the temperature at the time of the incident was 78 degrees — and the vehicle was parked in direct sunlight with all the windows rolled up.

Allison Andrade

The complaint indicated approximately 20 minutes after officers arrived, Andrade exited the store. Officers said Andrade walked toward the vehicle, saw police, and attempted to walk away. When officers approached her, she gave officers a fake name and claimed she was looking for her boyfriend. She also denied having a vehicle in the area.

While in the process of identifying Andrade through a portable Fast ID machine, she admitted to police what her real name was, and that the children in the back seat of the vehicle were her children. She was arrested at the scene.

Allison Andrade

Officials then made contact with a loss prevention officer at Target — and reviewed store surveillance footage. The footage showed Andrade entered the store around 9:58 a.m. — and left at 10:32 a.m.

During an interview with officials, officers asked Andrade if she knew what the temperature was outside and she stated, “It’s hot.”

Andrade is due back in court for a hearing on Aug. 29.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.