Important resources to help you navigate the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in Wisconsin
Hub for reliable, timely news about COVID-19 pandemic

Family’s New Year’s Eve fireworks celebration ended with their home ablaze

Data pix.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- A family's fireworks celebration ended with their home on fire, according to the Winston-Salem Fire Department.

At about 1:15 a.m. Wednesday morning, Jan. 1, firefighters responded to 1805 Center Street in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Fire officials said a family set off legal fireworks in a trashcan but did not properly dispose of them after.

The fireworks ignited the trash can and lit the house on fire.

The home did not have smoke alarms, but a police officer from the North Carolina School of the Arts saw the fire and helped get word to the family.

The fire was reportedly under control by about 2 a.m.

No one was injured, but six people were displaced.

It wasn't immediately clear whether the home was a total loss.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.