MILWAUKEE -- One day after announcing he will meet with John Doe investigators, Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker told reporters he still believes he is not a target of the investigation.
Walker says his campaign has given tens of thousands of emails to investigators, and will continue to cooperate. “We volunteered to come in and talk about whatever they have. We, to our knowledge, haven’t been the target of anything, so we want to be as helpful as possible and figured this was the best way to do it,” Walker said.
Governor Walker wouldn’t say when he’ll be meeting with investigators, or what they may discuss.
In a statement released Friday, Walker revealed he’s hired two attorneys to represent him, at no cost to the public. Last week, the secret John Doe investigation led to charges against two of his former staff members, who are accused of doing campaign work while at their County jobs. Two other former associates were charged last month with embezzling money from veteran’s organizations.
In response to the Governor’s statement, some Democrats said voters should be concerned. “He’s hired criminal attorneys. He’s going to be questioned. That clearly means there’s a problem in Scott Walker’s house,” Sachin Chheda, with the Milwaukee County Democratic Party said.