2-18-12: IL MITO’s Chicken Cacciatore
Chef Feker is tempting your taste buds with Chicken Cacciatore. Some call it Hunters Chicken. Either way, the Chef insists it’ll be one of the tastiest meals you’ll ever serve to your family.
• 4 chicken thighs
• 2 chicken breasts with skin and backbone, halved crosswise
• 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
• 1/2 cup all purpose flour, for dredging
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large carrot diced
• 1 lbs of mushrooms sliced
• 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
• 1 onion, sliced
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 3/4 cup dry white wine
• 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
• 3/4 cup sodium free chicken broth
• 3 tablespoons drained capers
• 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano leaves
• 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
1. Dredge the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour to coat lightly.
2. In a large heavy sauté pan, heat the oil over a medium-high flame.
3. Add the chicken few at a time to the pan and sauté j until brown, about 5 minutes per side.
4. Sauté in not less then 2 batches. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
5. Add the carrot, bell pepper, onion and garlic and half of the mushrooms to the same pan and sauté over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
7. Add the tomatoes with their juice, broth, capers and oregano.
8. Return the chicken pieces to the pan and turn them to coat in the sauce. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Continue simmering over medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through, about 30 minutes for the breast pieces,
and 20 minutes for the thighs.
9. Remove chicken from sauce add the remaining mushrooms, reduce to a consistency desired