3-24-12: IL MITO’s Spinach Tort (Crustless Quiche)
Doctors say breakfast is the most important meal of the day and Chef Feker agrees. That’s why he joins FOX6 Wake Up to cook a spinach tort that is tasty and healthy.
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
• 4 scallions, thinly sliced
• 3 large eggs (organic, cage-free preferred)
• 3/4 cup half-and-half
• 1 tablespoon plain breadcrumbs
• 1 teaspoon each: chopped basil, chopped mint, chopped oregano
• 1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Pinch of cayenne pepper
• Pinch of grated nutmeg
• 1/3 cup crumbled feat cheese
1. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Squeeze excess water out of spinach.
3. Add spinach and scallions to skillet and cook while stirring, until dry, about 4 minutes.
4. Transfer to a colander and press with the back of a spoon to remove the last bit of moisture.
5. Brush 4 (6-ounce) ramekins with some olive oil and put on a baking sheet.
6. Put spinach mixture, eggs, half-and-half, breadcrumbs, the herbs, sea salt, black and cayenne
peppers, and nutmeg in a food processor and pulse until spinach is finely chopped.
7. Place spinach mixture in a bowl and fold in feta cheese.
8. Divide mixture evenly among ramekins. Bake until set around the edges but still slightly soft in the center, about 20 minutes.
9. Turn oven off, leaving pies inside to set, about 5 minutes more.
10. Run a knife around edge of each pie and invert onto plates.
11. Taste this creation at IL MITO for Sunday Brunch!