CAIRO, Egypt (CNN) — Conflicting reports emerged late Tuesday, June 19th over whether the 84-year-old former president of Egypt, Hosni Mubarak, had died.
The state-run Middle East News Agency, citing medical sources, said he was declared clinically dead shortly after arriving at a military hospital in Cairo, where he was taken after suffering a stroke and cardiac arrest earlier in the day.
But Gen. Mamdouh Shahin, a member of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, told CNN, “He is not clinically dead as reported, but his health is deteriorating and he is in critical condition.”
Adel Saeed, the official spokesman of the Egyptian prosecutor, had said earlier, “We were informed by prison authority that Mubarak’s heart has stopped and they used electric shocks and CPR to resurrect him. He is now on an artificial respirator and doctors from the armed forces and International Medical Center will inspect him.”
Nile TV reported that Mubarak had suffered a stroke.
He was taken from Tora prison hospital to Maadi military hospital, his defense lawyer, Fareed El Deeb, told CNN. “He has suffered a stroke but he is not dead,” El Deeb said.
But the prosecutor and the military council denied Mubarak had been moved.
His health has been reported to be in decline since he was ousted as president of Egypt in February 2011 and tried on charges related to the killings of anti-government demonstrators during the revolution.
Last week, an Interior Ministry spokesman said he was comatose; the spokesman said he suffered from high blood pressure, irregular heartbeats and difficulty breathing.
Mohamed Fadel Fahmy contributed to this report for CNN.
Monitor FOX6 News and FOX6Now.com for updates on this developing story.