IL MITO’s Garden Fresh Chili (6-23-12)
Everyone has a secret chili recipe. But how many of those recipes are truly garden fresh? Chef Feker helps you out with that answer.
• 3 stalks of celery washed, trimmed and diced
• 2 pounds of Crimini mushrooms rough diced
• 2 medium red onions chopped
• 4 cloves of garlic chopped
• 1 each green, yellow & red bell pepper diced
• 1 large zucchini washed, ends trimmed and diced
• 1 16 oz. can of san-marzano tomatoes
• 2 cups of Il Mito tomato sauce
• 1 cup each of home cooked garbanzo and lentil beans (1 cup of the cooking broth reserved)
• 1 cup of bean broth
• 1 cup vegetable stock
• ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, parsley and basil leaves
• 1 bunch of green onions Chopped for garnish
• 2 large ripe avocado, Diced for garnish
• 1 can of small chipotle pepper with the brine chopped fine
• 1 each chili Ancho, guajillo ground
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
• 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat a large, heavy-bottom pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add the oil then add the onions, celery and 1/2 the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes. Then add the bell peppers, garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add the chipotle, ground chilies and the cumin. Cook for another 2 minutes then add the zucchini and the remaining mushrooms, and cook until soft and the vegetables give off their liquid and start to brown around the edges, about 4 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and stir well for about 2 minutes. Add the bean medley, tomato sauce and vegetable and bean stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the herb mixture. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.
6. Serve in a bowl and top with chopped green onions and avocado and the remaining herbs.
- Two killed, one hurt in head-on crash, speed possibly a factor
- VIRAL: Dash cam shows something shocking, and then...
- Who would steal from a baby's grave plot? You won't believe this video
- Waukesha doctor "stunned" after alleged attack, police chase
- CLICK & PRINT your very own 2014 Green Bay Packers schedule