Overnight fire destroys eight unit Oconomowoc apartment complex
OCONOMOWOC (WITI) — An overnight fire at an Oconomowoc apartment complex was so intense, witnesses say flames could be seen for miles. Tenants say smoke detectors went off around 11:30 Friday night.
Firefighters were on the scene at Bolson Dr. for close to nine hours. The three alarm fire burned through nearly the entire eight-unit building, leaving residents to pick up the pieces Saturday morning, February 8th.
“All my stuff is gone,” said Victoria Humphrey, a seven-year resident of the building.
Humphrey says although her possessions can be replaced, the one thing that can’t is her cat, Honey.
“I tried going back in for him but the smoke was just too bad. I couldn’t,” said Humphrey.
Humphrey and other tenants surveyed the damage Saturday morning. They are all looking for a new place to call home.
Witnesses say they watched the fire unfold in disbelief.
“Saw the flames — smoke was just going everywhere. It was going around the whole town. You could see it from all over,” said James Freeman. “There were a lot of fire trucks. Probably 15 or 20 fire trucks here last night.”
Crews from Okauchee, Ixonia, Brookfield and others were called for assistance.
No one was injured during the blaze. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
- 24 people apply for ‘World’s Toughest Job' & get an emotional surprise
- Hilarious! Southwest flight attendant tries to "spice up" safety instructions
- 79-year-old dancer on "Britain's Got Talent" leaves Simon Cowell in awe
- Man arrested after backpacks found at Boston Marathon finish line
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized; cancels Tuesday night show in Kansas City