WAUKESHA (WITI) -- A little girl, stabbed and left for dead in the woods in Waukesha by two girls who were supposedly her friends had a big day Tuesday, September 2nd. She headed back to school -- for her first day of seventh grade.
The girl survived 19 stab wounds, and spent much of her summer recovering from the stabbing incident that occurred on May 31st.
After what she has been through, it is easy to understand why this little girl was ready to head back to school.
"May 31st of this year -- this little girl gets lured into the woods and stabbed 19 times," the girl's family's spokesman Stephen Lyons said.
12-year-old Morgan Geyser and 12-year-old Anissa Weier have been charged as adults in the case -- each facing a felony first-degree intentional homicide charge. The girls apparently stabbed the victim in order to appease Slenderman -- a fictional online character.
"You saw the most horrific thing happen," Lyons said.
The little girl, stabbed 19 times, has had a stressful summer of surgeries, specialists and recovery.
"A typical week, for weeks at a time, eight or 10 doctors appointments," Lyons said.
On Tuesday, the little girl started seventh grade with a smile.
"Throughout the summer, the parents would write on a grocery list, and put down groceries, and at the bottom of the list she'd always write 'school supplies.' Every week: 'school supplies' -- so she wanted to get back to school. She was excited about it," Lyons said.
Lyons says the girl is grateful to be getting on with her life as her healing continues.
"Now we're dealing with some of the emotional needs. This little girl is in therapy and so is her family. Rightfully so -- and getting the help that they all need to address this horrific situation. This is one of the first chapters in a very long book, but having said that, we like where the book is headed," Lyons said.
As for her recovery, this little girl still has a long way to go. The girl's family continues to accept donations to cover the cost of her treatment -- which could reach the $400,000 mark.
CLICK HERE to make a donation.
- A day in her honor: Wear purple on Wednesday for Waukesha stabbing victim
- 12-year-old stabbing suspect Morgan Geyser NOT competent, so what does that mean for criminal case?
- Doctors: Morgan Geyser believes she has mind control abilities, can speak to Voldemort
- “An amazing, unbelievable, heartfelt gift:” Waukesha stabbing victim receives anonymous military Purple Heart
- Lawyer for Morgan Geyser requests competency evaluation, status hearing set
- Tuesday is “Go Purple Day:” Wear purple to support 12-year-old Waukesha stabbing victim
- Judge halts order that Morgan Geyser, accused of stabbing classmate, undergo an insanity exam
- Community helps stabbing victim heal: “It needs to have a good ending”
- CreepyPasta holds online fundraiser for stabbing victim, with a catch
- Online fundraiser: Help the 12-year-old girl nearly stabbed to death by her “friends”
- CreepyPasta narrators organize to raise money for stabbing victim
- Visibly shaken, families of stabbing suspects offer no comment in court
- Should 12-year-old girls be charged as adults? Prosecutor familiar with young suspects weighs in
- Attorney says girl charged in stabbing is mentally ill; Should they be tried in adult court?
- Details on legal process for stabbing suspects, searching for appropriate experts
- School district bans sites, but would “Slenderman” have raised red flags before stabbing?
- “She was cool until 4th grade:” Classmate talks about 12-year-old stabbing suspect
- Fantasy vs. reality: Parents should focus on the real world and real-life consequences
- Creepypasta responds: “We are a literature site, not a crazy satanic cult”
- Ghoulish stabbing raises question: Who is Slenderman?
- Attack on 12-year-old girl prompts website access review
- “Deeply saddened:” Man who created “Slenderman” responds to Waukesha stabbing
- “I wanted to live:” 12 year old stabbing victim released from hospital
- “Our little girl is a fighter:” Parents of stabbing victim issue statement, fundraiser established
- She has a “courageous heart:” Girl stabbed by preteen classmates is on the mend
- Improving: 12-year-old Waukesha girl stabbed 19 times is walking & talking
- Trying to heal: Pastors, counselors available at church after 12-year-old girl stabbed
- Bicyclist who found stabbed Wisconsin girl: ‘Who did that to you?’
- “This is just wrong!” Parents SHOCKED to learn young girls plotted classmate’s murder
- Waukesha girl stabbed was “one millimeter away from certain death”
- “It’s just horrific:” Gov. Walker weighs in on Waukesha stabbing
- Two girls accused of plotting to kill friend, victim stabbed 19 times