WAUKESHA COUNTY (WITI) — During a competency hearing Wednesday morning, October 22nd, a court-appointed doctor found 12-year-old Anissa Weier competent to stand trial. However, Anissa Weier's defense is challenging that report, and a competency hearing is scheduled for December 18th.
Twelve year old Anissa Weier is led into the Waukesha County courtroom fully shackled. She and her friend Morgan Geyser are accused of luring their classmate into the woods back in May, and stabbing her 19 times, nearly killing her, to please the online fictional character Slenderman.
Geyser has already been found not mentally fit to stand trial at this time, and is receiving mental treatment. But at Wednesday's hearing, we learned a court appointed doctor has found Anissa competent.
Her lawyers had already reviewed the doctor's report with their client, and will contest the findings.
"I don`t believe that [the state doctor] has the required expertise to render an opinion," said one of Weier's attorney's.
Weier's attorneys have also consulted with a different doctor, who says Weier is not competent.
One of their main concerns, is the state doctor`s experience in dealing with juveniles.
"If you`re not qualified to be rendering an opinion, you may not be looking at the things that are most important -and so while it might be a valid opinion regarding an adult, when you`re dealing with someone who is 12, it is different," said Weier's attorney, Mora McMahon.
The prosecution asked for a copy of the defense's doctor's report, and wants it within a week.
Weier's family has been silent throughout the proceedings, but the family's lawyer says it's been tough on them and the other two families.
"They realize they are dealing with three very young girls, and it just breaks everybody`s heart," said McMahon.
The judge scheduled another hearing for December 18th, where both doctors will testify. The judge says that hearing could last a full day.
The young victim in this case is recovering, and has returned to school. If you wish to help the family, you can make a donation at http://www.gofundme.com/heartsforhealingwi or make a deposit at any BMO Harris Bank.
- A big day for a little girl nearly stabbed to death in Waukesha: The start of seventh grade!
- Thousands to be donated to 12-year-old stabbing victim’s family after Madison fundraiser
- Hearts for Healing Fundraiser: “Mini Brat Fest” will be held in Madison in honor of 12-year-old stabbing victim
- 12-year-old stabbing suspect Morgan Geyser NOT competent, so what does that mean for criminal case?
- Doctors: Morgan Geyser believes she has mind control abilities, can speak to Voldemort
- “An amazing, unbelievable, heartfelt gift:” Waukesha stabbing victim receives anonymous military Purple Heart
- Lawyer for Morgan Geyser requests competency evaluation, status hearing set
- Tuesday is “Go Purple Day:” Wear purple to support 12-year-old Waukesha stabbing victim
- Judge halts order that Morgan Geyser, accused of stabbing classmate, undergo an insanity exam
- Community helps stabbing victim heal: “It needs to have a good ending”
- CreepyPasta holds online fundraiser for stabbing victim, with a catch
- Online fundraiser: Help the 12-year-old girl nearly stabbed to death by her “friends”
- CreepyPasta narrators organize to raise money for stabbing victim
- Visibly shaken, families of stabbing suspects offer no comment in court
- Should 12-year-old girls be charged as adults? Prosecutor familiar with young suspects weighs in
- Attorney says girl charged in stabbing is mentally ill; Should they be tried in adult court?
- Details on legal process for stabbing suspects, searching for appropriate experts
- School district bans sites, but would “Slenderman” have raised red flags before stabbing?
- “She was cool until 4th grade:” Classmate talks about 12-year-old stabbing suspect
- Fantasy vs. reality: Parents should focus on the real world and real-life consequences
- Creepypasta responds: “We are a literature site, not a crazy satanic cult”
- Ghoulish stabbing raises question: Who is Slenderman?
- Attack on 12-year-old girl prompts website access review
- “Deeply saddened:” Man who created “Slenderman” responds to Waukesha stabbing
- “I wanted to live:” 12 year old stabbing victim released from hospital
- “Our little girl is a fighter:” Parents of stabbing victim issue statement, fundraiser established
- She has a “courageous heart:” Girl stabbed by preteen classmates is on the mend
- Improving: 12-year-old Waukesha girl stabbed 19 times is walking & talking
- Trying to heal: Pastors, counselors available at church after 12-year-old girl stabbed
- Bicyclist who found stabbed Wisconsin girl: ‘Who did that to you?’
- “This is just wrong!” Parents SHOCKED to learn young girls plotted classmate’s murder
- Waukesha girl stabbed was “one millimeter away from certain death”
- “It’s just horrific:” Gov. Walker weighs in on Waukesha stabbing
- Two girls accused of plotting to kill friend, victim stabbed 19 times