MILWAUKEE -- It was a very busy weekend for firefighters and the American Red Cross. First responders and Red Cross volunteers were on the scene of 17 separate fires between Friday, October 16th and Monday, October 19th. It has fire officials reminding folks it's incredibly important to have working smoke detectors in your home.
The American Red Cross in Wisconsin was taxed this weekend -- with 14 separate fire responses. The Red Cross depends on your donations -- and after a busy weekend, Red Cross officials need your help.
"Multi-family fire, single-family fire, single-family fire, single-family fire," Barbara Behling with the American Red Cross said, as she listed the incidents that kept volunteers busy this weekend. "14 since Friday morning."
The latest fire occurred at a duplex near 38th and Lloyd in Milwaukee on Monday morning. The Red Cross is assisting two families affected by that fire.
Also Monday, a fire in Racine -- at a single-family home near 10th and College caused damage to two other homes nearby. All residents from each home were displaced.
This, after a very busy weekend.
"It was like 'boom, boom, boom.' We had teams that were at one fire and they had to wrap up quick to get to the second fire. We had multiple teams out, multiple caseworkers. We had a couple of gals that pulled all nighters," Behling said.
While there's no word yet regarding what may have caused the fire in Racine -- Jeff Perkins, Racine Fire Department division chief addressed some common causes that can come with the cooler weather we've started to see in southeastern Wisconsin as fall takes hold.
"We seem to make the same mistakes over and over. Don’t leave the candles unattended. Don’t use the candles. Iou can, at all, avoid it. Be careful with your space heaters. Be aware that, once you’re inside, fire danger goes up, because you’re gonna spend more time inside," Perkins said.
It is also important to make sure your home is equipped with working smoke detectors.
"If you follow the manufacturer’s instructions, they’ll cover how you’re supposed to do it. One in the basement’s good, one in each sleeping area," Perkins said.
Perkins says one smoke detector in each bedroom isn't overkill.
If you are in the Milwaukee area and are in need of a smoke detector, you can call (414)286-8980 and one will be delivered and installed for you.
If you would like to learn more about how the Red Cross is caring for those affected by these fires, and how you can help, CLICK HERE.