MILWAUKEE -- Are you looking for the perfect Thanksgiving appetizer? If so, you're in luck! Angela Horkan from the Beef Council joins FOX6 WakeUp to share her recipe for with sun-dried tomato dip.
- 8 ounces Ground beef (90% lean)nonstick cooking spray
- 1 shallot
- 1 portobello mushroom
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Marsala Wine
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 whole sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 24-cup mini muffin tin with cooking spray and set it aside. Chop the shallot. Finely dice the portobello mushroom cap. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the chopped shallots and sauté until soft and translucent, 2 minutes. Add the diced mushrooms and cook until they are browned and their liquid is released and evaporated, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Chop the parsley. In a large bowl, using clean hands, combine the parsley, sautéed shallot and mushrooms, ground beef, panko breadcrumbs, maple syrup, yogurt, wine, egg, cayenne, salt and pepper. Scoop out a heaping spoonful of the mixture, shape it into a round ball, and place it in a prepared muffin cup. Repeat to make 24 meatballs. Baked until browned on the outside and cooked through, 20 minutes. Remove the muffin tin from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Place the tomatoes, yogurt, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Place the meatballs on a plate or serving platter, and serve warm with the dip on the side.
This recipe is courtesy of Toby Amidor, MS, RD and was not funded by the Beef Checkoff