Local author mixes up cocktails that are diverse, flavorful, and strong
MILWAUKEE -- Jeanette Hurt, author of "Drink Like A Woman: Shake. Stir. Conquer. Repeat." joins Real Milwaukee to talk about her new book and share some recipes. "Drink Like a Woman: Shake. Stir. Conquer. Repeat." is a new book that features profiles of more than 70 amazing women from history, literature and pop culture -- and honors each with her own cocktail.
- 1 ½ oz. gin
- ½ oz. cranberry juice (100 percent juice blend)
- ½ oz. lime juice
- ½ oz. simple syrup
- 2 dashes citrus bitters
- glass: martini
- garnish: twist of lime
- Pour all ingredients into a shaker filled with ice. Shake for about 10 seconds or until well chilled. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with a twist of lime.
Start the Revolution
- Start the Revolution
- ¾ oz. American whiskey, preferably bourbon
- ¼ oz. Tuaca, an Italian liqueur flavored with citrus and vanilla
- ¼ oz. quick cinnamon simple syrup (recipe follows) or cinnamon simple syrup recipe
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 3 oz. dry sparkling hard cider
- Glass: 8 oz. rocks glasses or highball glass
- Garnish: Apple quarter
Add ice to a cocktail shaker, then pour in whiskey, cinnamon syrup and bitters. Shake for 30 seconds. Strain whiskey mixer into rocks glass filled with ice. Float the hard cider on top, pouring on top of a bar spoon to make sure it sits on top.
Quick Simple Cinnamon Syrup
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
Heat water, sugar and cinnamon together over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool.