Man arrested on Water Street in court, pleads not guilty

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE -- Jeffrey Strasser, the man who made headlines after his arrest by Milwaukee police on Water Street was caught on tape, made his initial appearance in court on Tuesday, July 17th. 

Milwaukee police arrested Strasser on Water Street back on April 12th.

According to the criminal complaint, Strasser was behind the wheel of a black Lamborghini on Thursday, April 12th. An officer saw Strasser take off from the curb, squealing the tires and heading westbound on Juneau Ave. from Water St. The Lamborghini did not have its lights on.

The complaint indicates a pursuit was underway. At one point, the Lamborghini was estimated to be traveling 60 miles-per-hour in a 30 mph zone. Strasser did not pull over for officers in pursuit.

Eventually the exotic car pulled into a parking lot at Juneau and Water. The complaint says Strasser refused to unlock the car at first. Once the door opened up, he also refused to show his hands. The complaint says that's when Strasser was physically removed from the car and placed under arrest.

The incident was captured on cell phone video. The video shows Strasser being struck by an officer after Strasser was removed from the car.

Strasser's blood alcohol content was .19 -- or more than three times the legal limit for driving.

Strasser was charged with resisting/failing to stop/fleeing an officer, and cited for operating a vehicle while intoxicated. He pleaded not guilty Tuesday.

In court, Strasser's attorney, Robin Shellow, had the baliff pass a written statement to reporters. The statement said: "Human resources of MPD must have met and decided we have not violated the civil rights of a white guy lately...or as members of organized crime used to say about themselves, I wonder if Flynn thought 'the parsley did not look so good to being with, and now the cat has gone and peed on it.'"

When asked about the message, Shellow responded by saying: "It's self-explanatory. 'The parsley didn't look so good to begin with, and now the cat's gone and peed on it.' Everyone's heard that phrase. MPD's had a lot of trouble lately, don't you think?" Shellow said.

Strasser did not speak with reporters during the proceedings.

When Shellow was asked to comment on the conclusion that MPD's arresting officer had done nothing wrong, she said: "We're done. More later. Not today," Shellow said.

Strasser will be back in court in August. He was given a $500 personal recognizance bond -- meaning he does not have to put up any money.

If found guilty of the misdemeanor charge, he faces a maximum of $10,000 in fines, and nine months behind bars.

Related stories: