MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- The Milwaukee Police Department released a crime statistics report for 2013 on Thursday, September 5th. The numbers are for January 1st to August 31st of this year — compared to last year.
The summary of the findings as released by MPD is as follows:
- From January 1st to August 31st of 2013, robbery arrests increased 22% compared to the same time period in 2012. And robbery arrested increased 14% during the summer of 2013 from the summer of 2012.
- From July 1st to August 31st of 2013, there were 145 non-fatal shooting victims. Five had prior homicide arrests; 71 victims had previous gun arrests.
- From July 1st through August 31st of 2013 there were 29 homicides. Police say 23 of those victims had prior arrests.
- From January 1st to August 31st of 2013 there was a 7% increase in arrests for reckless endangering safety compared to 2012.
- Arrests for possession of a firearm also increased by 7% in 2013. According to the report, there were 446 arrests in 2013 for possession of a firearm and 417 in 2012.
- Arrests for felons in possession of a firearm increased 9% in 2013 from 2012.