Looking for something new and unique to serve for supper? How about a Sicilian steak sandwich? Chef Feker joins FOX6 WakeUp to show you how to prepare it.
Sicilian Steak Sandwich
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 pound choice New York strip cut into equal size thin steaks (ask your butcher to do this)
• 1 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
• 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
• 1 lb fresh spinach
• 8 slices of tomato
• 1 medium onion, sliced
• 10 slices provolone cheese
• 1 loaf of rosemary ciabatta or French bread
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1/4 cup Pinot Noir or other dry red wine
• 1/2 cup prepared horseradish (optional)
• 1/4 cup brown mustard (optional)
• 1/4 cup of mayonnaise (optional)
1. Heat a large skillet well over medium heat add cold oil meanwhile dredge the beef in the bread crumbs & sear the beef, and cook until browned on both sides 1 minutes per side. Remove the beef and add the mushrooms, the garlic and onion; cook and stir until starting to becometender, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes and red wine.
3. Slice the bread loaf lengthwise like a submarine sandwich. Mix together the horseradish and mustard and basil pesto; spread onto the inside of the loaf. Place slices of provolone cheese on both sides of the loaf, then top with the beef, onion and mushroom, and fresh spinach and tomato. Close the loaf, and place the entire sandwich under the panini grill (if it does not fit, cut into desired size)
4. Grill until crusty on the outside.