VIDEO: World’s tallest flag pole erected in Sheboygan Co.
SHEBOYGAN CO. (WITI) — It’s something you cannot miss as you drive I-43 through Sheboygan County. Acuity has erected the world’s largest flag pole on its property.
The video below is a time-lapse showing how the massive Acuity flag pole was fully assembled.
In May, Acuity completed construction of a 400-foot flagpole, the tallest in the United States, to fly an American flag measuring 60 feet high by 120 feet long. The flagpole is one of the most visible landmarks on the Interstate 43 corridor, and the flag is being raised as a symbol of gratitude to our country and those who defend it. At the base of the pole is a Veterans Memorial, which features the names of every Sheboygan County Veteran killed in the line of duty.
Acuity announced that the public is invited to its headquarters at 2800 South Taylor Drive in Sheboygan for a dedication of the World’s Tallest Symbol of Freedom and Veterans Memorial. The dedication ceremony will be held Monday, June 16, from 11 a.m. to noon.
Flag facts for your consumption:
- 400-foot flagpole weighs approximately 420,000 pounds
- There are two versions of the 60-by-120-foot flag:
- 220-pound flag is flown during normal conditions
- 350-pound flag is flown during harsher weather
- Each star is 3 feet high and each stripe is 4 1/2 feet wide
- 680 cubic yards of concrete used in foundation
- Over 500 gallons of paint cover the pole
- 11-foot diameter at base tapers to 5 1/2-foot diameter at top
- Three pendulum-style tuned mass dampers reduce movement and vibration
- Designed to withstand a low temperature of -42 degrees Fahrenheit
CLICK HERE to read more about the Acuity flag pole.