PARENTS: Here’s a fun project for Thanksgiving evening! Help your child write a letter to Santa!
NORTH POLE (WITI) — Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. And the Postal Service can help you prove it when Santa replies to your child’s letter to Santa — complete with a North Pole postmark!
Here are the steps:
- Have your child write a letter to Santa and seal it in an envelope addressed to: Santa Claus, North Pole.
- Tell your child that you’ll place a stamp on the envelope and mail it to St. Nick for him or her.
- Later, when alone, open the envelope, read the letter and write Santa’s response on the back of the child’s letter. Have Santa write: “It’s important to be green and save paper. That’s why I’m writing on the back.”
- When responding as Santa, reference your child’s accomplishments not included in his or her letter, i.e., Santa is so proud that you volunteered to help ____, or Santa is really impressed with the great job you’re doing in school — especially with math, etc. Sign it Santa Claus with a P.S. to get to bed early Christmas Eve.
- Place the letter into a new envelope addressed to the child at his or her home. Be sure to include: Santa Claus, North Pole, as the return address on the envelope. Don’t forget to apply a First-Class stamp — such as a recently issued Santa or Rudolph Forever stamp.
- Place the stamped envelope in a larger envelope (or Priority Mail envelope) with adequate postage addressed to:
NORTH POLE HOLIDAY POSTMARK
4141 POSTMARK DR
ANCHORAGE AK 99530-9998
- Letters from Santa must be received by the Anchorage, AK, Postmaster no later than Dec. 15, 2014.
- The Anchorage Postmaster will open the envelope, remove Santa’s letter addressed to your child, apply the North Pole postmark and mail it back home.
- When Santa’s letter arrives, have your camera ready when you ask your child to open the letter and read it to you.
- Share the photos on Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #SantaLetters. Keep the letters and the photos in a scrapbook as a great family keepsake.
The Letters to Santa program adds to the excitement of Christmas and is perfect for interesting youngsters in letter writing.