MILWAUKEE -- Have a Halloween party this weekend? You might want to serve up some of these hair-raising recipes. Alisa Malavenda of the Art Institute of Wisconsin joins Real Milwaukee with some creepy cocktail concoctions.
The Raven - Nevermore
- 4 oz black vodka or rum ( you can make your own with food coloring - recipe below)
- 1 oz black berry puree
- 2 oz lemon simple syrup
- 1 T lemon juice
- Combine vodka, puree , syrup and lemon juice in a shaker.
- Add ice and shake.
- Pour into martini glass and top with a splash of club soda if you desire.
- Add a licorice straw for garnish
To make black vodka or rum
- 1 bottle vodka or rum
- 10 drops blue food coloring
- 10 drop red food coloring
- 8 drops green food coloring
Stake Through Your Heart Martini
- 3 oz good quality vodka or gin
- spritz of vermouth
- 4 roasted baby beets ( you could also used pickled)
- In a chilled martini glass - spritz or swirl vermouth. Add vodka or gin to an iced cocktail shaker. Shake until very cold , but not till diluted from ice.
- Make a little v cut on top of a baby beet to make it look like a heart. Stick a wooden skewer through beet and place in martini with some juice so it resembles blood.
- Make mozzarella and olive eye balls if you don`t like beets for an Eye Ball 'High Ball
- 2 ½ cups vodka
- Juice from 6 lemons
- 1 cup simple syrup
- club soda
- grenadine filled syringes
- Fill a pitcher with ice and add vodka, lemon juice and simple syrup. Stir and strain into a rocks glass that has a syringe filled with grenadine. Top with club soda.
- Let guest add the 'blood' to their drink.
- This is also a great kiddie cocktail ( Make a Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers putting the grenadine in the syringe)
The Melting Witch
- 6 kiwis, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup mint simple syrup
- 1 cup rum
- 1 bottle club soda or lemon lime soda for a sweeter version
- Melt ½ cup of sugar in ½ cup of water . Cool. Puree sugar mixture with one bunch of mint in a blender. Add peeled and chopped kiwis and blend until smooth.
- In a pitcher filled with ice, add vodka and kiwi mixture. Stir and add bubbling soda.* For glow in the dark drinks - use tonic water and either lemonade or mountain dew and a black light
The Spicy Jack Pumpkin Martini
In a shaker mix 3 oz of pumpkin spiced vodka
- 1 oz Grand Marnier or Amaretto
- Garnish of cinnamon sugar , pumpkin meat slice or candied corn
- 1 large bottle vodka
- 4 cups of raw pumpkin slices from a pumpkin pie pumpkin - skin on
- 2 vanilla beans
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 t cardamom pods
- ¼ cup candied ginger
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup simple syrup
In a clean glass jar combine vodka, pumpkin meat and spices . Let sit at room temperature for 2 weeks . Make simple syrup. Add cooled simple syrup to vodka mixture and stir -At this point you could strain and drink, but I prefer to wait another two weeks for it to get really spicy.
Stir once a week for all four weeks. Strain into empty clean bottles.