MILWAUKEE -- A father waking his kids up for school Tuesday morning, Feb. 27, ended up helping to save their lives. Paramedics discovered high levels of carbon monoxide (CO) in the home near 37th and Ruby -- which resulted in six children and three adults being treated for exposure.
The kids who were in danger ranged in age from 3 to 17. The kids' uncle said his brother tried to wake the kids and felt disoriented himself.
"I guess he woke the kids up when they were non-responsive, so what he did, he opened the windows, pulled them all out of the house. Matter of fact, saved the lives of all those kids," said Blake Bonds.
"All of them were eventually transferred to a local hospital. MFD (Milwaukee Fire Department) went inside and noticed the carbon monoxide levels were extremely high and believe it was the result of a broken water heater," said Lieutenant Joseph McLin, Milwaukee Police Department.
Officials said the house was littered with dog feces and broken items, and not livable.
"Very concerned," said Bonds. "I'm going to run out to the hospital now to see what's going on. Thank God they're all living. They're still with us."
Bonds said his brother put his children's lives before his own, going back in and out of the house -- bringing the children to safety.
"He's not a regular daddy. Super dad. That's what I'm going to call him. He's my super guy," said Bonds.
The landlord was cited in a special code enforcement violation. The gas is now turned off and things will need to be fixed before anyone can live in the home.
In addition to the people inside the home, officials say two dogs and several cats were also taken away from the scene.