President Trump announces new tariffs on Chinese technology

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The White House announced 25% tariffs on $50 billion worth of Chinese goods Tuesday. Full Credit: Getty Images/Shutterstock/CNNMoney

WASHINGTON — The U.S. is announcing that it will impose a 25 percent tariff on $50 billion worth of Chinese goods containing “industrially significant technology.”

The White House said Tuesday that the tariff will cover goods related to the “Made in China 2025” program. The full list of imports that will be covered will be announced by June 15.

President Trump has bemoaned the massive U.S. trade deficit with China — $337 billion last year — as evidence that Beijing has been complicit in abusive trading practices.

The White House also says the U.S. is planning new investment restrictions and export controls.

The announcement comes as the administration negotiates with China on a broad trade dispute. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is expected to travel to China later in the week for more talks.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.