MILWAUKEE -- There have been eight homicides in Milwaukee since Aug. 1. The latest happened Wednesday afternoon, Aug. 8.
Police are investigating two separate shooting incidents that happened late Tuesday night, Aug. 7 and early Wednesday. One person died -- and two others, including a 13-year-old boy, were seriously injured as a result of the shootings.
Neighbors in the area of 12th and Vine thought the noise was a fireworks show.
"They turned out to be gunshots," said a cousin of one of the victims.
The gunshots sent people ducking for cover.
"I just laid there," the victim's cousin said.
Police said around 12:45 a.m., a car approached another vehicle and someone inside opened fire. A 22-year-old man sitting in one of the vehicles suffered a serious gunshot wound.
"I just hope he's not taken away. He's in a coma right now," the victim's cousin said.
At least one stray bullet struck a teen. Police said a 13-year-old boy got caught in the crossfire while standing outside a nearby home.
"I have seen that boy running around the neighborhood a few times and it was sad to hear," said a neighbor.
It was one of two overnight shootings, adding to a violent week in Milwaukee. There have been eight homicides since Aug. 1 -- and six people were hurt in three separate shootings over the past weekend -- four of the victims hurt in Washington Park on Saturday afternoon.
Near 58th and Townsend, an argument escalated, and an 18-year-old man was shot and killed in the street around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday.
"Bullets don't have a name. They can hit anyone," said a neighbor.
Those impacted are calling for change.
"We're in the days and times where it needs to stop, or it's not going to get better. It's only going to get worse," said the victim's cousin.
Police are searching for the shooters. In the case of the deadly shooting Tuesday, officers have identified a person of interest.
Below is a breakdown of the eight incidents since Aug. 1:
- 35th and Clarke, Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2 p.m., 23-year-old woman killed
- 12th and Vine, Wednesday, Aug. 8, 12:45 a.m., 22-year-old man seriously injured, 13-year-old boy hurt
- 58th and Townsend, Tuesday , Aug. 7, 11:30 p.m., 18-year-old man killed
- 7th and Keefe, Monday, Aug. 6, 3:15 p.m., Man in his early 20s killed
- 5th and Center, Monday, Aug. 6, 9:30 p.m., 40-year-old man killed
- Swing Park near Holton and Brady, Monday, Aug. 6,11 p.m., 22-year-old man and 17-year-old boy killed
- 104th and Jonen, Wednesday, Aug. 1, 11:50 a.m., man killed
- 19th and Fond du Lac, Wednesday, Aug. 1, 5:30 p.m., 24-year-old man killed, 26-year-old man hurt