Christmas presents saved after fire hits 3-family home

WHITMAN, Mass. — Three families are homeless after a Christmas Eve fire struck a triple-decker home in Whitman, but firefighters were able to save at least some holiday cheer for the residents.

Fire Chief Timothy Grenno says after firefighters put out the blaze on Monday night they re-entered the building and removed already wrapped Christmas presents from all three apartments in the building.

Grenno says flames were visible from second-floor windows when the first units arrived.

No one was injured but all three apartments were left uninhabitable. The families are spending the holiday with relatives.

In a statement, Grenno said he was proud that by recovering the presents, firefighters “were able to save a bit of Christmas for these families who have been put out of their homes.”

The blaze is under investigation.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.