Medical examiner: Milwaukee County man dies from COVID-19; 12 deaths in Wisconsin
MILWAUKEE — Three Milwaukee County women and one man died as a result of the novel coronavirus, the Milwaukee County medical examiner reported Thursday, March 26, with a total of 11 deaths statewide; eight of them in Milwaukee County.
The medical examiner reported the death of a 79-year-old Milwaukee woman on Thursday afternoon. The woman died at the hospital from complications of COVID-19. She had been hospitalized since March 16.
The medical examiner said 79-year-old Callie Roundtree had a medical history that included diabetes mellitus, congestive heart failure, and stroke.
Later Thursday afternoon, the medical examiner reported the death of 65-year-old Carolyn Johnson who had been hospitalized since March 21 and died at the hospital.
The medical examiner reported the death of 69-year-old Tommie Lee Loving Thursday as well. He had been hospitalized since Wednesday, March 25.
On Wednesday night, the medical examiner reported the death of a 57-year-old West Allis woman, identified as Sheila Staten, died at the hospital Wednesday from complications of COVID-19. According to the medical examiner’s reports, Staten was admitted to Froedtert Hospital a week before her death with a fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Complications arose during her stay, including kidney failure. Staten had pre-existing medical conditions, the medical examiner said.
Governor Tony Evers reminded residents to take this seriously, and follow the guidelines outlined in his “Safer at Home” order.
“Issuing a Safer at Home order isn’t something I thought we’d have to do,” said Governor Evers. “We need to help stop the spread of COVID-19 and flatten the curve to ensure our doctors, nurses and health care workers have the opportunity to do their important work.”
Other coronavirus-related deaths in Wisconsin (in chronological order based on when they were reported)
- Man in his 50s in Fond Du Lac County: Death confirmed by Gov. Evers on March 19
- Robert Blackbird, 91, resident of Village Pointe Commons in Grafton/Ozaukee County: Death confirmed by Gov. Evers on March 19
- Lawrence Riley, 66 in Milwaukee County: Death reported by medical examiner on March 20
- Lenard Wells, 69 in Milwaukee County (retired MPD lieutenant): Death reported by medical examiner on March 21
- Roderick Crape, 54 in Milwaukee County: Death reported by medical examiner on March 23
- Woman in her 70s in Dane County: Death reported by health officials on March 25
- Man in his 60s in Milwaukee County (Milwaukee Public Schools employee): Death reported by medical examiner on March 25